Perinatal and Infant Oral Health
Mothers with poor oral health may be at greater risk of passing the bacteria which causes cavities to their young children. They should follow these simple steps to decrease the risk of spreading cavity-causing bacteria:
- Visit your dentist regularly.
- Brush and floss on a daily basis to reduce bacterial plaque.
- Eat a healthy diet that limits beverages and foods high in sugar and starch.
- Use a fluoridated toothpaste recommended by the ADA.
- Do NOT share utensils, cups, or food which can cause the transmission of cavity-causing bacteria to your children.
- Use a xylitol chewing gum (4 pieces per day by the mother) to decrease your child’s caries rate
Baby Bottle Tooth Decay (Early Childhood Caries)
After each bottle feeding, wipe your baby’s gums and teeth with a damp washcloth or gauze pad to remove plaque.